28 July 2011

Vampires and Cells by Agnieszka Biskup


Click to buy
In cartoon format, uses vampires to explain the science of cells.
Reading Level: 3-4
Interest Level: 3-9
ISBN:  9781429665827 / 1-4296-6582-3

Okay, let me say up front I really like vampires.   Even if, lately, I've developed a keen fondness for Zombies, I still have an undeniable soft spot for a rakish vampire or two (a la Anne Rice-sorry Twilight fans).  I also should mention that I really like anything educational for children that makes it fun for them.  So, when I saw that there was a vampire all poised and ready to explain the basics of life/biology well, the pun was not lost on me.  It's a clever and cute way to teach kids a little bit of how the world functions in an engaging and easily accessible format.  I stand by that assessment and I wholeheartedly love that there are authors out there interested and willing to put out this sort of material.  However, this reviewer, does almost all her reading on a Kindle and unfortunately this book did not fair well in the translation. I do believe that as a physical book it is probably wonderful. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment