30 September 2011

Your 100 Day Prayer by John Snyder

PURCHASE


Your 100 Day Prayer The Transforming Power of Actively Waiting on God

By John Snyde
Published by Thomas Nelson



Book Description

Readers are guided through 100 days of intentional prayer and biblical truth that transform their spiritual lives and reveal God's provision for their needs.
Anything worth having in this life is worth waiting for and worth striving for. Unlike the world, though, Christians are called to a much different kind of pursuit when they survey their dreams, desires, and needs. Instead of an indulgent wish list, Christians are called to live a transformed life where they become more like Christ through the journey of striving after God’s will. In a time when both the world and even some Christians preach instant gratification, Your 100 Day Prayer offers another path—one of transformation while asking, seeking, and knocking for deep desires and desperate needs.
There is nothing guaranteed about 100 days, but as author John Synder says, “This sustained, stubborn, never-give-up spirit of prayer is not so much to persuade God to give us what we want, but rather to transform us in the process.” Your 100 Day Prayer helps readers combine their need with God’s will in a measured, structured, and instructional experience that results in greater spiritual maturity, clarity about God's provision, and real answers to their very real needs. Because our “Father in heaven gives good gifts to those who ask him." (Matthew 7:11).

***
Author John Snyder takes the reader through 100 days of consistently seeking God for an answer to a specific issue in your life. The reading for each day includes a bible verse, short meditation, a leading prayer and journal space to put down thoughts regarding the day's progress in receiving an answer from God. The book ends by asking the reader to record how God answered his or her prayer.

We've all felt that God does not hear us sometimes.  I know that I have been face down before God many times praying for hope, solace and resolution.  I often feel that I am lost.  My little girl asked me this morning why God doesn't answer all of our prayers.  I told her that when it seems like God doesn't hear us it us, it is actually us not listening to Him.  Sometimes we don't like what God's plan is for us.  Sometimes we can't see the wisdom of God's plan for us.  It is our walk of Faith that leads us to peace. It is up to us to have faith that God is good, to have faith that God will not abandon us, to have faith that God will provide.  We must believe and trust in our Lord or else we will find ourselves without hope, without reason.  I don't have all the answers.  I do know one thing however, and that is that the Lord has blessed me beyond measure.  I am willing to accept his plan for me, it is up to me to have the courage to follow him faithfully.  It takes courage and perseverance but with the Lord with me I know that I do not endeavor upon this path alone.  

As my walk with the Lord has grown and matured I do not pray the same prayers that I once did.  I only pray for what I need...Give us this day our daily bread.  I pray that my life honor Him...Thy Kingdom come thine will be done.  I pray that I will always remember that I am His.  I pray for the safety and well being of my daughter.  I pray just to be nearer to God.  I used to pray the prayers of youth; "Dear Lord please let me get a spot on the cheerleading squad.  I promise to go to church if you do.  Thank you!"  I used to pray the prayers of the irresponsible;  "Dear Lord please just give me 300 dollars and I promise to never use my credit card again.  Thank you!"  I used to, but that was a long time ago.  It wasn't until I began praying the prayers of the faithful;  "Dear Lord, eternal source of all that is good, keep me faithful in serving You.  Help me walk in Christ's Truth, and fill my heart with His Love so that I may serve You in faith and love",  that I began to understand that the Lord answers our prayers, whether we pray them or not, every single day, every single moment, with every heartbeat and breath God is listening and responding.

How do I fell about this book then?  If it brings more people to their knees then I am all for it.  If it leads more people to the Lord then I can think of nothing better.

This book helps one to focus, not just on your need, but on how God meets needs in ways we may not realize or allow ourselves to see. I think the book is especially appropriate for those new in their walk with the Lord, or just beginning on the road to seeking God in prayer. The author's writing style is very personable and not preachy. He gives insight as a person who has walked the walk and now is assisting others to walk theirs.


***



John I. Snyder

Dr. John I. Snyder is a pastor, author, and conference speaker. He has taught New Testament Studies at New College Berkeley, California, and has pastored and planted churches in California, New York, and Switzerland.
John received his Bachelor of Arts from Vanguard University (Costa Mesa, California); his Master of Theology and Master of Divinity degrees from Princeton Theological Seminary; and his Doctor of Theology from the University of Basel, Switzerland.
He has contributed articles to Theology Today, Dialog, Theologische Zeitschrift, Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, The Washington Times, and others. John has also served on the adjunct faculty of New College Berkeley as well as the World Journalism Institute. He is the founder of Community321.com, an online faith community.
Currently, John is organizing church planting in Europe with his wife, Shirin, and two daughters, Sarah and Stephanie.

* I received an advance copy from the publisher for purposes of review. I was in no way obligated to write a review much less a favorable one. The opinions stated herein are all my own.

0 comments:

Post a Comment