21 November 2011

The Law of Nines - Terry Goodkind





512 pages
Putnam Adult; First Edition edition (August 18, 2009)

  • ISBN-10: 0399156046
  • ISBN-13: 978-0399156045
Turning twenty-seven may be terrifying for some, but for Alex, a struggling artist living in the midwestern United States, it is cataclysmic. Inheriting a huge expanse of land should have made him a rich and happy man; but something about this birthday, his name, and the beautiful woman whose life he just saved, has suddenly made him—and everyone he loves—into a target. A target for extreme and uncompromising violence . . . In Alex, Terry Goodkind brings to life a modern hero in a whole new kind of high-octane thriller. 

***

I haven't read this one.  It sounds interesting.  The reason why I am reviewing (sort of) this title here is because I am, like many others, beginning my annual holiday shopping.  There are a quite a number of people on my list that are clients. Some people on my list are just a tad more than acquaintances. Sometimes a gift needs just a little something extra.  You know, like when you get something small for your Aunt Sheila and you think she might notice that you only picked it up on the way out of Wal-Mart the day before Christmas?  And you feel guilty because you don't want to come across as a total cheapskate?  I'm just kidding.  Really, I don't shop at Wal-Mart.

Well, this year I'm approaching this thing from another angle altogether.  So, thus begins my holiday shopping list for all those lovely people that do not fall into my dearly loved category.  This is for all of you out there that I barely know and yet must buy a gift for.

The Law of Nines was a huge best seller.  Goodkind is apparently a very popular author and from what I can gather (no, I haven't read any of his books but let me tell ya' that I'm going to) he's had a TV show based on his books.  After reading (okay skimming) some reviews I gather that this book is part fantasy and part thriller.  Sounds good to me.  It should be mentioned that some reviewers said it had a slow start.  That's okay I guess because it has also been mentioned that the action does pick quite nicely.  

Now the good part.  Why is this on my list?  Why has this particular title been singled out?  The simple answer is the hardback is currently on sale for...$1.34.  It's one of dozens of Black Friday deals currently being offered on Amazon.  I figure that I can pick up maybe seven different titles from the list, get my total to twenty five dollars and have the lot of them delivered for free to my doorstep in just a few days.  Bam!  Seven people checked off my list.  I'm a happy camper.  With cash left over.

0 comments:

Post a Comment